Top Ten Interesting Facts About Pets
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Fun Pet Facts and other Pet Health topics.
How much do Americans spend on their pets each year?
So you just adopted a new pet? Congratulations! You just joined over 75 percent of Americans who are pet owners. Here are ten interesting facts you might not know about your new companion:
- There are over 77 million cats in the United States. There are 65 million dogs.
- There are more than 9,000 species of birds, but Parakeets, canaries and finches are the most popular species for pets.
- Max is the most popular name for dogs in the U.S., U.K. and Australia.
- Dogs can in fact see in color, but not as well as humans. However, they probably can't see red or green.
- Studies have shown that cats have better memories than dogs, monkeys or orangutans.
- The world's first space astronaut was a Russian dog named Laikia.
- The national average for a veterinarian visit in 2006 was $135 for dogs and $112 for cats, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Nearly 94 percent of pet owners say their animal pal makes them smile more than once a day.
For more information on signing up for pet insurance, including exotic pet insurance, visit VPI Pet Insurance.