Traveling with Your Dog
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Safety When Traveling With Pets and other Pet Health topics.
What is a good way to travel with a dog?
Nothing is more exhilarating for your pet than traveling with you. But there's more to it than telling your buddy to hop in the front seat while you roll down the window. Follow these pet travel tips to ensure that your pet remains safe on your journey together.
- Go to the vet before your trip. This will give your pal a clean bill of health and can speed up the process if you decide to board you pet once you've arrived at your destination.
- Make sure you restrain your pet while riding in the car. Pet carriers and harnesses designed to work with seat belts are much safer than barriers that keep your pet in the back seat.
- Keep your dog out of the bed of your pick-up truck. An estimated 100,000 dogs per year die from injures traveling in the back of trucks.
- Don't let your dog stick his head out the window. Many dogs are hurt by debris kicked up from the road or from bugs hitting their eyes, nostrils or windpipe.
- Finally, be sure to take frequent breaks. Your buddy will appreciate stretching his legs and stopping for a bathroom break.
Following these tips can help ensure that you and your pooch make it to your destination safely. However, in the unfortunate event of an accident, you'll want to be sure that you are protected from spending thousands of dollars in veterinary bills. Sign up for dog medical insurance at VPI Pet Insurance.