Weird Facts About Cats
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Fun Pet Facts and other Pet Health topics.
How many breeds of domestic cats are there?
Think your feline friend curled up on your lap is as ordinary as they come? Well believe it or not, there are many interesting facts about cats that many people don't know.
- Domestic cats can sprint nearly 31 miles per hour.
- Cats spend almost 30% of their lives grooming themselves.
- When a cat grooms himself, he loses about the same amount of fluid in saliva as when he urinates.
- Cats and humans have similar regions in their brains dedicated to emotions.
- There are 33 breeds of domestic cats and over 500 million domestic cats in the world.
- Your cat's heart beats twice as fast as yours.
- During her life, one female cat can have nearly 100 kittens.
- Cats almost never "purr" at other cats. The sound is reserved for humans.
- The average cat owner spends $80 per year on vet bills.
- Expect to spend at least $7000 on basic care for your household cat over his lifetime.
Visit VPI Pet Insurance to learn more about cat health insurance and how to keep your cat healthy for years to come.